The Governing Body of Ongar Place School is made up of representatives from the Local Authority, Staff, Parents and the Community.
The Governors meet regularly each term at the Full Governing Body and Committees.
The following duties and powers are given to the governing body:
- Deciding (with the headteacher and the Local Authority if appropriate) the aims and policies of the school, and how standards of education can be improved.
- Deciding the conduct of the school and how it should be run generally.
- Helping to draw up (with the headteacher and staff) the school development plan / school improvement plan.
- Deciding how to spend the school’s budget.
- Making sure the National Curriculum and religious education is taught.
- Making sure that all children with special educational needs and looked after children are provided for.
- Selecting the headteacher.
- Appointing, promoting, supporting and disciplining other staff in consultation with the headteacher.
- Acting as link between the local community and the school.
- Drawing up an action plan after an OfSTED inspection and monitoring how the plan is put into practice.
- Publishing annually a school prospectus and ensuring key information is available on the school’s website.
- Ensuring that pupils are entered at the appropriate time for public examinations.
- Controlling the use of school premises outside of school hours.
We have two Committees – Resources and Children& Learning, they each have their own terms of reference, see attached.